One of the worst things you can do is send an unsolicited, untargeted, irrelevant proposal to a potential sponsor. You’ll get absolutely nowhere and will waste your time and their’s.
Time spent doing your research now will pay you back 10 fold in the long run.
Before you begin the process of finding that perfect sponsor, I assume that you have a good understanding of your target audience – those people who are interested in what you do. Be it visitors to an event, members / fans of a sporting association or specific audience demographic etc.
- Step 1 – Create a wish list of sponsors
- Step 2 – Research each of the sponsors
- Step 3 – Record the details in the Sponsor Research Template
- Step 4 – Reality check using the Sponsor Compatibility Matrix…how compatible are you really?
- Step 5 – Pick up the phone and contact your hot list of sponsors